How to Combat Osteoarthritis Symptoms with Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative medicine may alleviate pain and discomfort resulting from various conditions, and osteoarthritis is no exception. This chronic disease of the joint can be followed by symptoms ranging from mild discomfort to severe pain. But what exactly are the symptoms of osteoarthritis and how can regenerative medicine injections available at San Diego’s regenerative medicine procedure centers help?
What are the 4 stages of osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis takes place in stages, depending on the severity of the symptoms:
- Stage 0: normal
Normal joint health, no known damage, impairment or symptoms
- Stage 1: minor
Minor pain and discomfort
- Stage 2: mild
Mild pain, discomfort, bone spur growth
- Stage 3: moderate
Frequent pain, erosion to the cartilage surface and bone spur growth, joint stiffness and inflammation
- Stage 4: severe
Reduced joint space, cartilage wear-off, bone spur growth, joint stiffness, chronic inflammatory response, friction and severe pain
What triggers osteoarthritis flare ups?
Common triggers of flare-ups in osteoarthritis patients include:
- Repeated trauma to the joint
- Overworking the joint
- Stress and repetitive motions
- Bone spurs
- Exposure to cold weather and changes in barometric pressure
- Weight gain
Adopting certain healthy lifestyle changes may benefit your joint health and your overall health, which may in turn help keep flare-ups under control:
- Balanced diet
- Regular exercise
- Healthy sleep habits
- Quitting smoking and alcohol
- Stress management
How do you recognize osteoarthritis-related flare-ups?
Flare-up episodes are common in patients suffering from osteoarthritis. These may include:
- An abrupt increase in pain within a short period of time
- Night pain
- Morning stiffness of the affected joint lasting more than 15 minutes
- Redness and warmth in the joint area
- Joint effusion (swelling and increase in size)
What helps osteoarthritis without surgery?
Since osteoarthritis is impossible to cure, patients turn to pain management medication and non-drug methods such as supplements to ease pain and discomfort. Regenerative medicine is becoming an increasingly sought-after alternative to joint replacement surgery, especially among patients looking to avoid surgery at all costs.
Although it may take multiple regenerative medicine injections administered over a period of several weeks and several weeks more for the procedure to show results, patients have been known to experience pain relief lasting for months.
What regenerative medicine procedures are used for osteoarthritis?
Regenerative medicine has been effective in bringing patients with osteoarthritis relief from pain and discomfort, while its potential to repair and rebuild cartilage is yet to be seen. Currently, two procedures are used by regenerative medicine specialists to ease the symptoms of osteoarthritis:
- Regenerative medicine injections: these include substances such as hyaluronic acid, cytokines, mesenchymal stem cells, and other substances that may provide pain relief to patients suffering from osteoarthritis. These injections may also reduce inflammation and stimulate damage repair.
- Platelet-rich plasma injections: a natural substance called platelet-rich plasma or PRP is injected into the damaged joint tissue. The main ingredient of the substance is the patient’s own blood plasma. PRP has the potential to promote healing, stimulate joint function and bring pain relief to the patient, which is why it is also one of the most sought-after methods of managing back pain.
Reach out to San Diego’s #1 regenerative medicine procedure center
When it comes to the future of joint repair, there is little doubt that it is regenerative medicine that will come up with the answers. Suffice it to say that the procedures that the field currently offers have been widely acknowledged as effective at helping patients with osteoarthritis manage their symptoms.
If you want to put your health in the hands of the leading regenerative medicine specialists in the heart of San Diego, Rejuvenate Medical Group is the place for you. We have patients from all parts of San Diego County. They come to us to experience improvement that other conventional methods failed to bring. Call today and schedule your initial consultation.